Monday, September 12, 2011

midnight snack

Funnel Cakes! What a perfect midnight snack :)

If you ever have a hankering for something sweet around midnight, might I suggest making funnel cakes?! I know, I know, it sounds kind of odd to whip up a batch in your kitchen on request and a few minutes later dust powdered sugar on top. But this is exactly what happened on Friday!

Ross and I had friends over and made some popcorn for munching when Sarah exclaims, "This makes me feel like I'm at a carnival. I wish I had funnel cake." Then Nev responds by searching for a recipe (which is only about 5 ingredients!) and I hop over to the kitchen and start measuring.

Ross helped sift together the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, and salt. Then you add milk and an egg. Simple as that!

While you are prepping have a frying pan heating up with some oil on the stove... I used about a quarter inch of oil across the bottom of the pan. The funnel cake does not have to be completely submerged.


Once the batter was ready we used a 1/2 c. measuring cup to pour some batter into our funnel. We have a red silicon collapsible funnel that reminds me of the hats worn in the Whip It music video. Seriously! The funnel sort of blends into my sweater in the top picture, but if you look closely enough you'll notice.

Plug the bottom of the funnel with your finger when you fill it with batter. Then walk over to your hot oil and let your finger go, move the funnel around the oil making a swirly pattern. I think the picture to the left looks like an octopus!

The funnel cake will take about 4 minutes on the first side, then 2 on the other, and 30 seconds again on the first side. I used two plastic spatulas to flip them.


Remove from oil - plop onto a plate with a paper towel. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and ENJOY!!

This was such a great snack... thank you Ross for your help sifting, Sarah for suggesting to make these, Nev for researching the recipe, and Ali for enjoying!!





No comments:

Post a Comment