Wednesday, December 5, 2012

underneath your clothes

{Thank you to Shakira for inspiring my blog post title today!}

We've all read Fifty Shades of Grey. So we shouldn't be aghast at what I'm going to talk about today. Just saying.

Scandalous!
I got to thinking... Anastasia wears thigh highs to work... A LOT. Part of that is built into the book for obvious reasons. But the realist in me thought; "Well, that makes a lot of sense. You don't have to deal with tights during every trip to the restroom." Of course all of my work dresses and skirts are more than long enough to cover up a pair of thigh highs, so why hadn't I thought of this before?

With the unseasonably warm weather DC has been experiencing these past few days, now is the perfect time to try this out. After a quick conversation with a coworker and finding out that, in fact, she was wearing thigh highs, I didn't think it was quite as scandalous anymore. So I decided to give it a try...

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this. During my commute I was conscious as to whether my dress hem rose as I held on to the metro railing above my head. When I sat down in my chair I was very aware of where my dress fell. And to be honest, it's a little bizarre to notice my thighs touching as I walk. Weird, I know. But despite all of this, I think this is a great alternative in warmer weather and I am willing to give it another go.

For more fun facts about "underneath my clothes" today - have you ever noticed a little snap and piece of string or fabric on the inside shoulder of your blouse or dress? That is designed to keep your bra straps in line. It's very convenient with soft fabrics, like silk, or wide necklines. And, it's not something only available on high-end clothing! In fact, I'm wearing a Banana Republic dress today and it has these little guys. It is such a game-changing feature for a piece of clothing, it can significantly influence my purchasing decision.


Have you ever worn thigh highs to work? Or out at night, for convenience? And, do you also love the bra snaps on shirts and dresses?

No comments:

Post a Comment